Episode 35 - How Developers Can Learn to Design
Justin Belcher drank a beer with us on the podcast and talked about how developers can learn to design. Design can be intimidating and many developers feel like they aren’t capable of creating good looking sites or graphics. But in this episode we talk about how designers approach their field and how they go about their craft. We also shed some light on ways to get started and use some techniques and tools that designers use so you can get better.
- What constitutes design? (i.e. How are we defining design?)
- Design and its parallels with development
- Honing taste and a detailed eye
- Improving your output
- Is design an art or can I learn it scientifically?
- Can I develop an aesthetic sense?
- What’s the best way to start learning design?
- What programs should I learn first?
- How can I get better at choosing good color palettes?
- What tips do you have for first time designers to help improve their chances of making good designs?
- What sites do you use to learn more about design?